Moving on a budget can be tricky, but it doesn’t have to be. We’ve compiled some tips for making the process as smooth as possible while saving you time and money. Whether you’re moving across town or the country, these strategies will help get you there without breaking the bank.
- Plan and create a budget for your move – Relocating to a new place can be overwhelming. But, if you prepare in advance and take care of your financial situation before the move, it won’t feel like an obligation or job. For this process to go smoothly from start to finish–whether that’s renting out a truck or simply packing up boxes–you cannot procrastinate until the last minute. Consider all of your options and be realistic about what you want to do before making that initial estimate for yourself. Then plan out each step in detail so as not to forget anything along the way. Stick to your budget and review your expenses along the way.
- Find a budget-friendly moving company that won’t sacrifice quality – It’s important to find one with great reviews and offers that suit your needs. Start looking sooner into what’s available through online reviews or word-of-mouth recommendations from friends, as this will help narrow down possibilities. Compare at least three moving estimates from each company you got. Proceed with caution if the price is too good to be true. This could indicate that you are bribed into hiring a fraudulent moving company. Analyze and research the movers thoroughly through different sites such as the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration.
- Avoid the peak season – If you want the best deals, be sure not to move during summer, peak season, when demand and prices are highest. Moving companies will for sure be fully booked during this time and cannot accommodate you. The cheapest seasons to move are late fall, winter, and early spring. It would help if you also considered moving during weekdays as it is more affordable instead of the weekend, which are expensive days to move. You should book early too as some companies offer early book discounts. So, choose your moving date wisely.
- Find free boxes and packing supplies. OfferUp is a great place to find tons of free boxes. Facebook, Craigslist and even local grocery stores are great places to find free boxes. For additional details about this, read our blog post on how to find free moving boxes here.
- Make sure to keep up on your bills before and after the move so that you don’t end up paying late charges. Also, keep track of when your subscriptions renew so they don’t go into a late fee cycle or, worse – face interest rates for missed payments. Afterward, cancel any memberships/subscriptions you won’t be using anymore to prevent hidden fees from piling up.
- Get rid of items that are no longer needed or wanted – Sell anything valuable online or host a profitable garage sale for quick cash. You can also donate old clothes and furniture and throw away any trash or hazardous materials left behind to lighten the load for moving day.
- Pack strategically and start early to avoid last-minute stress – Start by organizing all of your items into categories such as clothing, bedding, dishes, etc., so that it is easier to identify. Also, pack in order of weight because that will save you loads of space. Some light things like linens or clothes should go at the top while heavier ones like books should be at the bottom. For fragile items, such as glasses or china, label them, so they will not get mixed up with the rest of your belongings. They should also be packed strategically near other lighter materials if they must travel together to prevent breakage during transit.
Moving can be a stressful and challenging process, especially if you are on a tight budget. That is why it’s essential to find the right mover for your needs before taking any steps forward with your move. Aaron Movers offers expert moving services that will help take some of the stress off of this daunting task by providing quality service at an affordable price. Get in touch with us today to get started on your next big adventure!